Friday, July 8, 2011

E-mail from Speier rec'd this morning, sent to Janelle "The-Mixtress" Manalo

This goes to show the power of the internet and networking and of course taking the time to do little things that can make a difference!  As you know, your efforts support 7 families of the missing fisherman still lost at sea.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mrs. Manalo:

Thank you for your e-mail in response to the tragic accident that occurred off the Baja coast this weekend, when vacationing Bay Area residents onboard the Erik were caught in a sudden storm that capsized their vessel.

My heart goes out to the family of Leslie Yee, who lost his life in this terrible accident. My thoughts and prayers are also with the families of those still missing, some of whom are my constituents. As soon as I was made aware of the accident this past weekend, I personally called the State Department to impress upon them the urgency of the situation and to offer my assistance. On Wednesday, I also asked my colleagues in the Bay Area Congressional delegation to join me in sending a letter to the State Department and the Coast Guard, asking them to urge the Mexican government to extend their search by another 7 days. I am enclosing a copy of this letter with my e-mail.

As of this writing, the Mexican Navy and the Coast Guard have agreed to extend their search for another 24 hours, and are considering a 48 hour extension. I will continue to call for as much additional time as possible for the search. Water in the area is warm, and weather conditions remain calm, so I hope and pray that additional survivors will be rescued. The Coast Guard is also keeping a specially-trained dive team on standby to assist in recovering survivors.

I know how difficult this time must be, but I will continue to do everything I can to help the efforts underway to find the missing and return them to their loved ones. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call my San Mateo office at (650) 342-0300.



P.S. If you would like to have more information on the work I'm doing on your behalf in Congress I encourage you to visit my website at www.speier.house.gov.  You also may sign up to receive my e-newsletter providing legislative and district updates.  Any information you provide my office is strictly confidential and will only be used by my office to stay in touch with you. Member of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment